Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
Specialty Licenses
Share |

What are the Different Types of Specialty Licenses?


All Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists are required to be state licensed, however, there are specialty areas of practice within the field. Clinical Specialty Certification enables an audiologist or a speech-language pathologist with advanced knowledge, skills, and experience beyond the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC). The Clinical Specialty Certification program administered through ASHA (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association) that designates advanced certification of a Board Certified Specialist (BCS) for these specialties. The Clinical Specialty Certification program provides Audiologists and Speech-Language pathologists a formalized credential recognizing advanced knowledge and skills in a specialized area of practice, as well as a mechanism by which the public can identify practitioners with specialized clinical education and experience and practitioners can specify the nature of the clinical practice they provide.


Current Specialty Licenses are:

- Child language and language disorders - American Board of Child Language and Language Disorders

- Fluency and fluency disorders - American Board of Fluency and Fluency Disorders

- Swallowing and swallowing disorders - American Board of Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders

- Intraoperative monitoring - American Audiology Board of Intraoperative Monitoring